Paella with Shrimp
October 2, 2023
Recipes » Paella with Shrimp
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 6 oz chorizo, cut into small chunks
- 2 onions, finely diced
- 6 large tomatoes, deseeded and diced
- ½ tsp dried chili flakes
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 1/4 cups paella rice, such as bomba or Arborio rice
- 200 ml white wine
- 1.5 l fish stock
- ½ tsp saffron
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 20 raw ASC-certified shell-on shrimp, defrosted
- 1 small bunch flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 lemon, zested then cut into wedges
Instructions / DirectionsServes: 6
- Heat a BBQ until hot – if using charcoal, wait until it has turned light grey.
- Heat a large paella pan over the BBQ until hot. Add the olive oil and chorizo and cook for 2-3 minutes until the chorizo starts to release its oils.
- Add the onion and pepper and cook for a couple of minutes until just starting to soften.
- Stir in the garlic, chili flakes and paprika and fry for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and cook until softened and broken down, then add the paella rice and stir well until totally coated in the mixture.
- Add the white wine, fish stock and saffron, season with salt and black pepper to taste and bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat and cook for 15 minutes until the rice is tender and the liquid nearly absorbed. Do not stir as the rice cooks – you want a little crust to develop on the bottom of the pan, giving a golden brown rice layer.
- Add the shrimp, nestled into the mixture and cook for 4-5 minutes until the shrimp have changed color and are cooked through. If necessary, turn the shrimp over halfway through cooking.
- Finish with the parsley and lemon zest and a little black pepper.
- Serve immediately with the lemon wedges.