Spicy paloma flambéed shrimp
July 12, 2022
- 1 lbs ASC-certified shrimp, peeled and deveined, tail-on
- 2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 2 tbsp flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 tsp grapefruit zest
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/4 tsp guajillo chile powder (can substitute with ancho)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup red onion, finely diced (about 1/4-1/2 an onion)
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2-1 habanero finely diced, seeds removed, you can control the heat
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/4 cup tequila
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
Recipe brought to you by @beachgirlgrills
Add the shrimp, herbs, grapefruit zest, salt and guajillo chile powder to a bowl. Toss to combine. Allow to refrigerate for 15-30 minutes.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil. Add the onions, garlic and habanero and sauté for 2-5 minutes until onions are translucent.
Add the butter and honey and stir to melt. Add the shrimp and allow to simmer in the butter sauce until just beginning to turn pink, 2-4 minutes.
Add tequila. Use a kitchen torch or lighter to flambé the tequila. Allow to burn for 30 seconds and then add grapefruit juice to extinguish. Shrimp should have an internal temperature of 120°.
Serve with lime wedges or grapefruit if desired.